As an 18 year old, car insurance is one of the many areas in which you are penalized just for being young. Even though it is hard for teens to get cheap car insurance, it’s not impossible.
If you’re in need of insurance and are an 18 year old, car insurance quotes are just seconds away – all you have to do is enter your zip code on this site.
Cheap 18 year old car insurance might be hard to come by, but if you follow the tips below, you’ll be ahead of the game.
Parents Can Prepare Their Children to Get Discounts on 18 Year Old Car Insurance
It’s very difficult for young adults to get cheap car insurance. Insurance companies see them as risks and so their policies can be 100% to 500% more expensive than older adults. But there are ways parents can help their children receive discounts on car insurance when they’re old enough to buy it themselves.
Before your children are 18 you can help them prepare to ask for more reasonable insurance rates by teaching them how to drive safely. Tell them all the stupid things you did when you first started to drive and let them learn from your mistakes. (I know, it doesn’t seem like they are listening, but they really do hear you from time to time.)
Talk to your children about why insurance companies have high rates for teen drivers. Ask them what common distractions cause teens to get in more accidents that older, more experience drivers. Have them write a list similar to this:
- Cell phones
- Friends in the car
- Looking in the mirror/grooming
By talking to teens about driving safely, you could be saving them money on car insurance when they become of age. Don’t just focus on driving though. Teach your children the value of having car insurance and of shopping around for it. Tell them what to do in case there is an accident. Explain how claims work and how to file one. This too will make your children more responsible drivers.
Start young. Pre-teens and younger teens are just waiting for the day when they’ll be holding the keys in their hands. Talking about car safety and the impact it has on insurance will better prepare them for when that day comes.
Before You’re an 18 Year Old: Car Insurance Discounts in the Making
Insurance companies offer many discounts to young adults based on their driving records and other less obvious aspects of their lives. Teens can get themselves in a better position to receive lower insurance rates by:
- Keeping their driving record clean
- Being in good academic standing
- Having a driving course on record
- Proving membership to a club in the community
- Installing safety devices, such as airbags and alarms, in their cars
All these show maturity and so might persuade insurers to give an 18 year old car insurance for a cheaper rate.
The Money Wise 18 Year Old: Car Insurance Savings
Once you turn 18, there are more ways you can prepare to save on car insurance. Many factors affect how insurers will calculate your premiums. Some are specific to you as a young adult while others are common to all drivers.
- One of the other perks to coming of age is you can apply for and receive your own credit card. This can be beneficial when asking for discounts on your insurance company. Maintain a good credit score. Doing this shows insurers you are responsible with your money and pay bills on time.
- Before you buy a car, check how much insurance will cost for it. Insurance companies will set prices based on a variety of factors like the car’s worth, potential repairs, and what types of safety devices are installed. If you want to save on car insurance, it is better to buy based on these factors rather than how the car looks.
- The last tip offered might make you cringe, but you can keep it in the back of your mind as a possible money-saver. If you were driving before you turned 18, most likely you were on your parents’ car insurance policy. Car insurance companies give discounts if clients have multiple plans with them. If you are willing to relinquish some of that independence you probably crave, consider staying on your parents’ policy. It will probably save you money.
Learning as an 18 Year Old: Car Insurance Quotes Online
Comparing quotes for car insurance can be a long and tedious task, especially if it’s your first time doing something like it on your own. But this is the best way to find the cheapest 18 year old car insurance policy. And because you’ve grown up in the age of the Internet, requesting quotes from insurance companies is easier than ever. All you have to do is surf the Net.
Insurers offer free quotes online. By filling out forms on their websites, you can get quotes sent to your email and then compare them. Just make sure you enter exactly the same information on each site to get an accurate comparison.
When you’re looking for quotes, be sure to compare coverage as well as price. Getting cheap car insurance may be your goal, but you don’t want to waste your money on something that won’t help you. Also, be careful about which insurer you choose. There are many great insurance companies out there, but there are also many others that will charge you a lot for bad service.
Another thing you have to consider is how much you can afford and what payment method is best for you. It’s always better to have the highest deductible that you can because this will lower your monthly premiums. However, you should only get a high deductible if you believe you will have the funds to pay it in the case of an accident.
This is basic information you need to start your search for 18 year old car insurance.
After you buy a car insurance policy, continue to research discounts and ask your insurance agent about ones that apply to you. Insurers are always developing new discounts and incentives to get more clients, and these can usually be applied to existing policies as well.
You’re an adult and want to be treated as one by receiving car insurance rates that older adults do. Unfortunately, insurance companies won’t give you that luxury until you earn it. But there are ways to save on car insurance policies if you take the time to find them. The key is to get multiple quotes and compare them, which you can easily do on the Internet.
The simplest way to get free car insurance quotes is to enter your zip code on this website now.