- Obtaining proof of current insurance for a court date
- Being unaware of the expiration date of insurance, and need to replace it immediately
- You just purchased a new vehicle and need to have insurance before driving it off the car lot
- Lender requires proof of insurance
- Some jurisdictions have the fine for not having insurance if you bring proof of recently-acquired insurance to court with you – check and see
Fortunately, computers and the Internet have made acquiring auto insurance considerably easier. Simply enter your ZIP code into a comparison tool, such as the FREE one at the top of this page, and start comparing auto insurance quotes today!
Electronic Proof of Insurance
Most states now allow individuals to provide proof of insurance by accessing a mobile application on their cell phone or by accessing the insurance company’s website from a portable tablet.
These laws, for the most part, have been enacted in the past year or two by states to facilitate law enforcement and insurance enforcement laws.
Imagine, you are speeding just a bit, a highway patrol vehicle pulls you over, and you can’t find the proof of insurance document that you know you had in the glove compartment. Panic!
However, as an individual with connections, you can access your insurance company and verify that you have insurance – and the law enforcement officer will accept it as proof of insurance.
To be certain, you e-mail an electronic proof of insurance to the officer for his or her files. Then, you can be on your way.
You could, perhaps, have a speeding violation to add to your driver’s license resume. If so, many jurisdictions will allow the fine to be paid immediately and electronically so you don’t have to return to court.
How to Get Auto Insurance Online
Use your computer to access “automobile insurance quotes” in the search engine you prefer. A number of companies will appear on your screen.
Being a perceptive consumer, you realize that comparison-shopping is necessary even though you’re in a hurry.
Choose either separate insurance companies or access a website that will allow you to obtain quotes to compare from several different automobile insurance companies.
Ordinarily, you will enter the quote website by providing your ZIP Code.
This allows the software involved to locate your state and area to give accurate quotations. Sometimes, if the insurance company does not offer insurance in your state, this fact will be stated and you’ll have to search another insurance company.
This is a situation where one of the websites that allow several different quotes can be useful. These websites have an initial screening process, to sort out the companies that would be willing to provide car insurance for you.
Then you may enter each company’s individual quotation site and the software that will allow you to obtain a quote from that particular company.
Free Car Insurance Comparison
Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save
Collect the Necessary Information
In order to obtain a relatively accurate automobile insurance quote that reflects the actual premium you’ll be paying, you need to collect information as follows:
- Full names and drivers license numbers for all drivers as well as their dates of birth
- Exact addresses and ownership status of both your home and auto
- Estimate of your credit rating
- Details of driving records for each driver, including violations and accidents
- Amounts paid for claims you’ve had
- Make, model, and VIN number for all automobiles you have
- Details about who drives each vehicle usually
When accessing the websites, you will be requested to enter the data as prompted. For a truly accurate quotation, you will need to enter your social security number and exact drivers license numbers.
Where to Find Instant Auto Insurance Online
Determine the limits of liability that you require for adequate insurance coverage. Each state has its own requirements for legal limits of liability, so you will need to meet or exceed those requirements.
If you have a loan on your vehicle, the lender will require you to carry physical damage in the form of comprehensive and collision with a deductible. This will protect your interest and their interest in your car.
Suggested Limits of Liability
Even though each state has its own requirements, these suggested limits of liability might be wise to provide adequate coverage:
- Bodily Injury Liability – to protect you against legal liability for bodily injury to others – $100,000 per person/$300,000 per accident
- Property Damage Liability – to protect you against legal liability for property damage to property owned by others – $50,000 per accident
- $10,000 Medical Payments – This pays for incidental medical coverage such as emergency services or ambulance costs for you if you are involved in an accident.
- Uninsured Motorists Coverage – This pays for bodily injury or property damage to you if you are involved in an accident with someone who does not have insurance. Suggested limits are $100,000 per person/$300,000 per accident bodily injury and $50,000 per accident for property damage.
- Comprehensive coverage — This is not required by law but is necessary if you have a loan. This provides damage coverage to your own car for theft, vandalism, animal damage, weather damage, and damage to glass with a deductible. A suggested deductible is $500 per accident.
- Collision coverage — This is not required by law, but necessary to cover your own car. It covers collision coverage for any reason. A deductible of $500 is recommended.
Decide upon the limits of liability and jot them down along with the information required for a quote. Insurance companies will offer other coverage as options such as towing and labor, rental reimbursement, accident forgiveness, and disappearing deductibles. Be aware of this when you’re examining quotes.
To Purchase Auto Insurance Online
After obtaining a quote and determining both the premium and the insurance company from which you want to purchase, continue online to purchase the quoted coverage desired.
A down payment will be required as well as an electronic signature. You will be able to enter information about payment online through a secured website.
Once payment has been verified, records checked, and information verified online, a policy may be issued electronically.
Proof of insurance will be e-mailed to your e-mail account so you can print it out.
This process can take a few hours if it is initiated during the working day. If you’re trying to purchase it at night, you’ll probably have to wait a bit longer so an individual can verify the requests.
Hard-copy verification is usually mailed to you via the U.S. Post Office within a reasonable amount of time to make certain that your address is correct and that you, indeed, intended to purchase this insurance.
Instant Online Insurance?
No, it’s not instant – but as close to instant as is available. Coverage should be available shortly. The advantages of the Internet, software, and access online make this possible.