Male vs. Female Car Insurance Rates in New Jersey
If you live in NJ, your gender plays a role in determining your car insurance rates. The average rates in the state are $112.83/mo, but women typically pay 15% more than men.
Free Car Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Jan 21, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single company.
Our partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from top car companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
- Several car insurance companies have been accused of inflating their coverage prices for specific genders
- We tested two major auto insurance companies to see if they would increase their prices for one gender over another for drivers that provide the same information
- Both major auto insurance companies increased their prices for the female driver
The treatment of males versus females in the United States has caused many movements and protests in support of equal treatment.
Although the United States has passed several laws based on equality, there are still people that are being treated differently because of their gender.
There have even been reports that car insurance companies judge how much to charge their customers depending on their gender. In an effort to prove the theory right or wrong, we decided to put a couple of New Jersey insurance companies to the test.
Compare car insurance quotes for yourself to find the best rate for the coverage you need. Enter your zip code above to get started.
In order to obtain accurate insurance quotes without making the New Jersey insurance companies aware of the study, we had to take a stealthy approach.
We applied for insurance quotes from two different companies to see if we could find a difference in the rates received by men and women.
For the most accurate results, we used the exact same information for each driver while only changing their gender.
This way, we can be sure that if any differences in the insurance rates appear, it’ll be apparent that it will be specifically because of their gender. Here are the characteristics they share:
- Both of these drivers are 25 years old and are employed as computer programmers.
- They’ve both owned a home for over two years and have continuously had auto insurance for three years with no lapses in coverage.
- They both drive 2012 Nissan Altima four-door sedans, of which they are the first owners and drive around 13,000 miles per year.
- They’ve had one ticket each in the last three years for speeding under 15 miles per hour over the speed limit.
The only information given for each of these drivers that do not match is their gender.
Geico and Progressive are the two auto insurance companies in New Jersey that we used to retrieve auto insurance quotes. Both male and female quotes will be compared head to head for each option given by the insurance companies.
Down payments, monthly rates, and costs to pay the amounts in full will all be evaluated. Some auto insurance companies automatically add discounts to their quotes but no additional quotes were applied for this study.
Free Car Insurance Comparison
Enter your ZIP code below to view companies that have cheap car insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Male and Female Car Insurance Quotes in New Jersey
Believe it or not, the results of this study were a bit shocking. Both of these companies actually charge women more for auto insurance than they do men. See how New Jersey compares to other states by checking out our data sheet here.
Between the Geico and Progressive auto insurance companies in New Jersey, Progressive showed the most drastic price difference in how they gave male and female insurance quotes. Here are the details for each company.
- Male – $318.40 to pay in full or $59.74 down payment with a monthly payment of $57.74
- Female – $376.50 to pay in full or $69.42 down payment with a monthly payment of $67.42
- Male – $350.80 to pay in full or $65.14 down payment with monthly payments of $63.15
- Female – $412.90 to pay in full or $75.49 down payment with monthly payments of $73.49
These figures for both options do not include collision and comprehensive coverage, but they do include a $250 deductible for PIP. PIP stands for personal injury protection and it covers up to $15,000.
Overall, Geico auto insurance companies in New Jersey charged the female driver $58.10 more than the males for the first option and $62.20 more than males for the second option.
That’s over 15 percent more money for the exact same coverage just because of gender. This difference proves that men and women are not treated equally when it comes to purchasing car insurance from Geico in New Jersey.
- Female – $561 to pay in full or $62.09 down payment and monthly payments of $120.39
- Male – $478 to pay in full or $51.82 down and monthly payments of $100.65
This option does not include any collision or comprehensive coverage.
- Female – $842 to pay in full or $92.61 down payment with monthly payments of $179.09
- Male – $761 to pay in full or $82.25 down payment and monthly payments of $159.16
For comprehensive and collision coverage, a $500 deductible is included for both drivers.
- Female – $1,008 to pay in full or $110.78 down payment with monthly payments of $219
- Male – $908 to pay in full or $98.17 down payment with monthly payments of $189
Both recommended choices include a $500 deductible for the collision and comprehensive coverage.
Overall, Progressive charges women at least nine percent more for the same coverage as men, but how much more depends on which coverage they choose.
For the recommended coverage, Progressive charges women $100 more than men, which equals around 9.9 percent more money.
The choice coverage charges women $81 more than men, which comes out to about a 9.6 percent increase.
The basic coverage shows the largest gap because of its $83 difference. This may not seem like much but when you compare the male’s $561 paid in full amount to the woman’s $478, it’s a 14.7 percent difference.
How do New Jersey’s laws influence car insurance quotes?
In New Jersey, drivers have the option of presenting their insurance identification card either in paper form or electronically. The basic policy for this state includes these minimum requirements:
- property damage liability coverage of $5,000 per accident
- personal injury protection per accident of $15,000 per person
For basic coverage, New Jersey allows drivers to waive uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage.
Compare car insurance quotes to find the best rate for the coverage you need. Enter your zip code below to begin.