Getting New Driver Car Insurance Quotes
Get new drivers car insurance quotes easily when you comparison shop online. New driver car insurance rates are often higher than a mature driver's rates, but you can still find affordable car insurance coverage for new drivers. Enter your ZIP code below for free car insurance quotes for new drivers in your area.
Free Car Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Aug 15, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single company.
Our partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from top car companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
- Before searching for a car insurance company, study the factors that impact rates
- You can control some of the factors that affect your premium
- Always compare several insurance providers before choosing a policy
What is the best insurance for a new driver? New drivers face a complicated dilemma when it comes to finding the right auto insurance; most have a limited income but do not have enough driving experience to receive affordable rates.
Don’t lose hope. Young drivers can get car insurance without emptying the bank account!
Enter your ZIP code above for free car insurance rates!
Factors Involved in High Rates
Before turning to any insurance company, you have to understand the factors that affect car insurance rates. When you know them, it becomes easier to find a rate that fits your budget.
The major factors involved in high car insurance rates include:
- Vehicle Safety
- Type of Vehicle
- Modifications to the Car
- Driving Classes
- Experience Behind the Wheel
Free Car Insurance Comparison
Enter your ZIP code below to view companies that have cheap car insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Understanding the Influence of Factors
The different factors involved in creating a price for the vehicle are not always in the control of a driver.
While that is true, understanding how the different factors can influence insurance rates makes it easier to compare car insurance companies and determine whether the rates are reasonable.
1. Age is clearly not a matter under the driver’s control. Younger drivers are statistically involved in more accidents, so a new driver who is also in the late teens and early 20’s will end up paying more than a new driver who is in his or her 30’s.
Younger drivers are less mature on average and do not have enough driving experience and credit history to attest for their responsbility.
2. Gender also influences insurance rates. Boy and men generally have higher rates than girls and women due to the higher rate of accidents among young men than women.
As new drivers gain more experience and get older, this becomes less dramatically influential than the first years behind the wheel.
3. The type of vehicle and the safety features are also part of the price. A vehicle that has numerous safety features will cost less to insure than a high-speed sports car with only the basic features.
Opting for a Toyota, Honda or similar sensible car will result in lower rates.
4. Modifications to a vehicle primarily depend on the change. Changes to cars that result in better safety features, such as putting in more air bags in a car that is lacking side air bags, will result in lower costs.
Modifications that are designed to improve the vehicle’s speed or that are associated with racing and dangerous activities will result in higher prices.
5. Driving classes also influence insurance rates. Taking a defensive drivers course can help bring down the cost of insurance for new drivers. The amount it brings down the price can vary between locations and insurance companies.
6. The last factor, experience behind the wheel, is something that is gained with time. New drivers will always have higher rates, but the longer a driver is not involved in an accident, the lower rates become.
Using Comparison Websites
How do you compare insurance policies? After taking measures to help bring down the basic cost, it is then time to start comparing the prices of different insurance companies. One of the options for easier comparison is turning to a comparison website.
Online websites that cater to comparison are ideal when seeking basic quotes based on the details of the vehicle, driver and situation.
While it might not be possible to get all of the discounts and special rates through comparison websites, it does provide a place to start the search.
The websites will ask for some basic details before providing quoted estimates. The website will ask about the type of vehicle, the make and model of the vehicle and the year the car was made. Some websites will also ask for the vehicle identification number, or VIN.
Beyond asking for details about the car, the comparison websites will ask about the driver’s age, the number of years behind the wheel, gender and some basic identification information.
Some information is optional while other details are required for quotes. The best quotes are given when the most details are provided.
The website will then generate results based on location and insurance providers in the area. The best rates are estimates, but give place to start seeking better insurance quotes. Making a list of possibilities to look into further is the key to making use of comparison websites.
Getting Quotes from the Company
The next part of comparing different insurance companies for new drivers is getting the quote from the company’s website or over the phone. Using the list of potential options from the comparison website, call or go to their website to find out the best offer the company will offer.
As a new driver, the expense is likely to end up higher than more experienced drivers, but finding out about special promotions or discounts the company offers can result in lower quoted amounts.
Provide every detail to the representative over the phone or on the website’s chat window. Those who have taken a defensive drivers course can ask about discounts for the course. Students who have excellent grades might also get a discount through some companies for the grades.
After finding out which promotions and deals are applicable and asking for the discount, the insurance provider will give the best quote. Repeating the process will ultimately result in finding the best deals, coverage, and options for new drivers.
Comparing different insurance companies based on the quotes they provide is the best way for new drivers to find reasonable rates and coverage.
It is only through comparison shopping and obtaining quotes from the insurance companies that a new driver is able to find the best option for their particular needs.
Compare car insurance quotes instantly by using our FREE comparison tool below!