Free Car Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Mar 6, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top insurance providers. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Requirements for Iowa car insurance companies are a little different than other states’ requirements.
Instead of compelling drivers to carry mandatory automobile insurance, they, instead, require proof of financial responsibility for damage. This only applies to liability exceeding $1,000 resulting from a car accident.
However, this rule is very misleading. Automobile accidents usually result in thousands of dollars’ worth of damage. For this reason, car insurance coverage prevents an accident from turning into a financial catastrophe.
Overall, consumer satisfaction with Iowa car insurance providers is very high.
The real issue is how to find the best coverage. This article will look at not only what makes a provider great, but will also tell you who the best Iowa car insurance companies are and how to find the best deal.
Compare car insurance quotes for your area today with our FREE quote comparison tool at the top of this page!
Car Insurance Ratings
The single most important factor in separating the greats from the rest of the pack is customer satisfaction.
If the majority of people who pay for the service are happy with it, then it is probably a safe bet.
Customer satisfaction is comprised of four main elements:
- Public Perception – The way that a customer perceives a company’s image is often heavily influenced by advertising. The older and more aggressive a car insurance company is, the more familiar it will be. It may help to ask friends and family their opinions on specific insurers
- Claim Handling – The whole point of having insurance is for protection in case there is a claim. Since many complaints arise every year about how these are handled, it pays to investigate how each company treats specific cases and how long it usually takes to close them
- Reliability – How long a company has been in operation and how they are financially backed is just as important as everything else is. A. M. Best offers ratings based on a company’s financial security. Paying premiums is useless if the company does not have the resources it needs to back the policyholder
- Value – Every consumer wants to get the most amount of coverage for his or her money. This will only happen if the policyholder is informed about their needs
Common Complaints about Car Insurance Companies
According to the National Association of Car Insurance Commissioners, the most common consumer complaints are the following:
- Wrongfully denied claims top the list as the single most common complaint. Sometimes, a policyholder may assume that their insurer has a legal and contractual obligation to settle their claim. This is not always the case. Beware any company who has a high deny ratio
- Delayed claims and unsatisfactory settlements are the second most commonly heard grievance. In fact, 37 percent of all consumer complaints in 2010 were for this reason. Investigate how long it usually takes a company to settle, and how they determine the amount
- Coming in at third place was poor customer service or no customer service. Most of the issues centered on billing difficulties and a lack of response to inquiries
Free Car Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Five Best Iowa Car Insurance Companies
According to a recent survey by Market Force, the most reputable car insurance companies are:
- Allstate – With over 75 years in the industry, Allstate has been a household name for over a generation. They have an A+ rating with A.M Best, making them financially dependable. Value-based plans and discounts are among some of the options offered
- State Farm – Established in 1922, State Farm is one of Iowa’s largest car insurance providers. Their complaint ratio is very low. Excelling in the customer service department, State Farm offers flexible coverage options and multiple discounts
- Geico – They also have a financial strength rating of A+ from A.M. Best and have won numerous customer satisfaction awards. Many discounts are offered, including a defensive driver discount for those who take a class
- USAA – Originally founded by military officers for other military officers, USAA is a membership-based financial institution that offers multiple product lines, including car insurance. They have won several notable awards for customer service and claim handling
- Progressive – In 1937, Progressive opened with the first ever drive-in claims office. Ever since then, they have been offering unique solutions for auto insurance products. They have a few discount programs, as well as additional plan options that cover anything from vehicle repairs to pet injuries
How to Get the Best Rate
Of the five top Iowa insurance companies, it is still hard to determine who will offer the best rate in each situation.
The most common causes of claims are often things that are not included in standard policies.
Of course, accidents top the list but windshield repairs, mechanical failure of breaks, vandalism, and theft are other things that drivers frequently encounter. Don’t pay for things that are already included.
Accident forgiveness is one such example. Most companies do not penalize you for a single accident anyway.
Try not to settle for the lowest deductible. The more risk that you are willing to share, the lower the premium will be. Never set your limits higher than what you will reasonably need.
Someone who makes $500,000 annually has more financial risk than someone who makes significantly less.
Finding the best car insurance coverage at an affordable price is essential for protecting both present and future financial wellbeing. Getting a great deal from a reputable car insurance company in Iowa isn’t hard.
Take the time to shop around and be an informed consumer. While accidents are sometimes unavoidable, having sound insurance in place can minimize the consequences and protect personal resources.
Find the coverage you need with our FREE ZIP code search at the bottom of the page!