You need to be able to trust that individual with your personal information, to feel at ease to ask questions, to trust him or her to give good advice that you feel comfortable following and to be confident that he or she will take care of you in the case of a loss.
If you find that your relationship with your auto insurance agent is lacking in any of these areas, you may want to consider changing auto insurance agents. There are also a variety of other reasons to change agents.
Be sure that you enter your zip code to the tool above to start comparing free auto insurance quotes from many different agents and companies online.
First Do Research to Find a Suitable Replacement
Depending on the situation, you can find a new agent in different ways:
- Looking for a better deal – Many people change insurance agents simply because they are looking for a better deal on car insurance coverage. You can use a free online rate quote tool to help you quickly and effectively find a lower price.
- Unsatisfactory care – If you are looking to change auto insurance agents because you are unsatisfied with the care you are getting through your present agent, you may also want to consider shopping around for a new company.
Here are some suggestions to help you find a reputable company and agent:
- As you are comparing insurers, you will want to check on the financial stability of the new company by checking their rates one of the independent insurance ratings companies such as A.M. Best or Moody’s.
- Ask family, friends and co-workers you trust about who they use as an agent and if they would recommend that person. The best recommendation will come from someone who has had to make a claim. When you need to pay out claims and deal with stressed-out clients, it is harder to be a good agent.
- Another important aspect of finding a suitable replacement is to check into the customer service history of the agent. Most states maintain public records of complaints made about insurers and agents.
Therefore, check with your state department of insurance when looking for a new auto insurance agent. You may also want to do an online search of the company and the agent to find out if there are customer reviews published online.
This will provide you with information to help you make a decision.
Switching Auto Insurance Agents Within the Same Company
It’s often a rather delicate situation when you are asking to switch auto insurance agents within the same company. If you have moved and would like to deal with an agent who is geographically closer to your new location, you should have no problem.
Your present agent may be the best resource possible to give you a recommendation of who to use, especially if you trust the agent.
If you are dissatisfied with your current agent but want to stay with the same company, the change is more complicated. The best way to effect such a change is to find an agent in the same company but at a different office.
That will help you avoid uncomfortable situations and the possibility of having to deal with your current agent again, if you need help and your new agent was out of the office.
This type of change is easy to do if your insurer is a big name company with multiple offices in your area.
However, if you cannot change to an agent in another office, a good strategy is to speak with the manager of the office you are dealing with and request a change of agents. He or she should be familiar with processing such requests and should be able to take care of it for you.
Be honest with him about your reasons for the change, so that if there are issues that can be dealt with, he can do so to avoid future problems.
The Basics of Changing Insurers
If you opt to change insurers, it is important to keep a few things in mind. You should never cancel your current insurance without having new car insurance in place. Shop around and find the new insurer before notifying your current insurer.
When you are confident that the new policy is in place, notify your old insurer in writing that you want to cancel your policy effective immediately.
It is often wise to change insurers at renewal time, however, many people do so at other times also.
Waiting until renewal time makes the matter less complicated. You will not need to wait to get a refund. You will also avoid any early cancellation fees that some insurers assess.
If you are looking for a new insurer, a free online quote tool can help you find one. You simply input information about where you live, your driving record, your vehicle and your insurance needs and the tool does all the work for you.
In no time, you will have a variety of quotes from top companies serving your area. Get started today with our free online quote to find the best auto insurance agent for you. Enter your zip to start now!