As if it wasn’t hard enough to obey all of the basic traffic laws, we now present to you the most ridiculous driving laws known to man!
Check out the below graphic with the dumbest laws for driving around and then be sure to enter your ZIP code in the FREE box above to see how much money you might be able to save on your car insurance!
We all know how important it is to drive carefully. Automobiles have changed many aspects of human existence around the world, but especially in America. We have a collection of outlandish traffic laws — the likes of which you would not believe — and we’ve collected just a few here for both your entertainment and your education.
While some cops will let you off for a lot of these strange offenses, the official position of many a law enforcement officers is “Ignorance of the law is no excuse.”
Wild Traffic Laws: Animals
A lot of the stranger traffic laws deal with animals. Animals and automobiles often don’t mix.
Bumper stickers like: “I brake for wildlife” are a testament to some drivers’ desire to see all creatures, great and small, make it to their destinations safe and sound with no injuries or casualties along the way.
Here are some of the weirdest animal-related traffic laws we’ve managed to find:
- In Alaska it is illegal to strap your dog to the roof of your car. Everywhere else it is just a bad idea!
- Both California and Tennessee have made it a crime to shoot any animal from your car with one odd exception: whales. While it may be conceivable to hit a whale in any of the waters off the coast of California, a quick look at a map of the U.S. proves that one would never be in a situation to shoot a whale in Tennessee.
- Apparently this happened often enough that the great state of Montana had to pass a law about it: you may not, under any circumstances, leave your sheep unattended in your truck!
- Rural Pennsylvania has such esteem for the safety of animals that they made it a law that when driving down a country road one must stop every mile and set off a signal rocket to make sure that there is no livestock in your path. This probably helps humans as much as animals, as no one wants to slam their car into a cow. It’s not pretty.
Dumb Driving Laws: Place/Time Specific
Some traffic laws only apply after or during certain hours.
There’s long been a myth in many parts of the country that, late at night, red lights are optional; instead, drivers can merely stop, look both ways for safety, and proceed.
We cannot recommend this! We also can’t recommend any of the following actions:
- Driving a black car on a Sunday in Denver, CO.
- Driving a red car on Lake Street in Minneapolis, MN.
- Blaring your horn after 9 p.m. in any area in the state of Arkansas where people are serving ice cold beverages and sandwiches. No word if this applies to hot food and drinks.
- Driving in a cemetery in North Carolina (unless you are digging a grave or putting someone in one).
Weird and Funny Traffic Laws: Roundup
Some of these laws are so crazy that they defy categorization. For instance:
- Memphis and New Orleans both boast a no-doubt, seldom-enforced law mandating that female drivers must have a man in front of her car waving a warning flag. We’ve come a long way…
- Canton, OH, has made it a crime to share the road with anyone in roller skates. Apparently it is the driver’s fault if someone he or she doesn’t know just decides to start rollerskating down a public street. One wonders how many people get ticketed for that one each year.
- In a situation that clearly balances two different aspects of public safety in a completely unsatisfactory way, the city of New Britain, CT, dictates that no firetruck shall exceed a speed of 25 miles per hour. “Where’s the fire, buddy?”
- California women are forbidden from driving while wearing a housecoat. Apparently this was a big problem back when women actually wore housecoats.
- In a law that would be almost impossible to obey in any state, let alone the Garden State, New Jersey has made it illegal to frown at a police officer while you are being pulled over. Turn that frown upside down — or else!
Why not see how much money you might be able to save by comparing car insurance quotes online? Enter your ZIP code in the FREE tool below to start right now!