As if it wasn’t hard enough to obey all of the basic traffic laws, we now present to you the most ridiculous driving laws known to man!
Check out the below graphic with the strangest laws for driving and then be sure to enter your ZIP code in the FREE box above to see how much money you could save on your car insurance!
We all know how important it is to drive carefully and in most instances, safety is the reason for rules and regulations when it comes to getting behind the wheel. The laws we are about to show you, however, seem both crazy and unnecessary!
Free Car Insurance Comparison
Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save
While some cops will let you off for a lot of these strange offenses, the official position of most law enforcement officers is that ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Wild Traffic Laws: Animals
A lot of the stranger traffic laws in our nation deal with animals. Animals and automobiles often don’t mix.
Bumper stickers like “I brake for wildlife” are a testament to some drivers’ desire to see all creatures, great and small, live unencumbered by vehicles.
Here are some of the weirdest animal-related traffic laws we’ve managed to find:
- In Alaska, it is illegal to strap your dog to the roof of your car.
- Both California and Tennessee have made it a crime to shoot any animal from your car with one odd exception: whales.
- In Montana, you may not — under any circumstances — leave your sheep unattended in your truck!
- Rural Pennsylvania has such esteem for the safety of animals that they made it a law that when driving down a country road one must stop every mile and set off a signal rocket to make sure that there is no livestock in your path.
Dumb Driving Laws: Place/Time Specific
Some traffic laws only apply after or during certain hours, such as:
- Driving a black car at night on a Sunday in Denver, CO.
- Driving a red car on Lake Street in Minneapolis, MN.
- Blaring your horn after 9 p.m. in any area in the state of Arkansas where people are serving ice cold beverages and sandwiches.
- Driving in a cemetery in North Carolina
Weird and Funny Traffic Laws: Roundup
Some of these laws are so crazy that they defy categorization.
- Memphis and New Orleans both boast a seldom-enforced law mandating that female drivers must have a man in front of the car waving a warning flag. We’ve come a long way…
- Canton, OH, has made it a crime to share the road with anyone in roller skates.
- The city of New Britain, CT, dictates that no firetruck shall exceed a speed of 25 miles per hour. “Where’s the fire, buddy?”
- California women are forbidden from driving while wearing a housecoat.
- In a law that would be almost impossible to obey in any state, let alone the Garden State, New Jersey has made it illegal to frown at a police officer while you are being pulled over.
Why not see how much money you might be able to save by comparing car insurance quotes online? Enter your zip code into the FREE tool below to get started right now!