GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is one of those companies that pretty much everyone has heard of. Even if they can’t quite remember the name, mention the little green lizard on TV or the Caveman commercials, and suddenly they come to mind.
The GEICO gecko is one of the most recognized commercial characters on TV and GEICO is one of the only insurance company whose “spokes-characters” have been such a sensation.
In fact, in 2009, the cavemen in their commercials were rated the funniest commercial characters of all time.
The question, however, isn’t whether their commercials are funny or memorable, but whether or not they offer quality insurance and services to their customers.
Read through this GEICO car insurance review and then compare quotes from many top car insurance companies online by entering your zip in on this page today!
One of the first misconceptions that people have about GEICO is that they are a newer company. The truth, however, is that GEICO was established in 1936 and was started with the goal of providing services to government employees.
Over the years, they expanded their services, but it wasn’t until 2009 that GEICO was available in all 50 states.
GEICO hasn’t had a perfect record when it comes to growth. There were some issues when they started selling auto insurance in areas like New Jersey in the 1960s, and they had to pull out of that area in the 1970s. They were able to re-enter it in 2004.
The reason for these struggles? GEICO tried to grow too fast, and it put a financial strain on the company. This required a reduction in staff and locations to get back on sound financial footing, and to the point they are at today.
GEICO offers a wide variety of services to their customers, but their primary focus is auto insurance. You can purchase:
- Bodily injury coverage
- Property damage insurance
- Medical coverage
- Uninsured/underinsured insurance
- Comprehensive coverage
- Collision insurance
- Emergency roadside insurance
- Rental reimbursement insurance
- Mechanical breakdown insurance
Free Car Insurance Comparison
Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save
Mechanical Breakdown Insurance
While it is possible that you have heard of all of these options, the mechanical breakdown insurance is something that is pretty unique to GEICO. This coverage gives you an alternative to a warranty for your new vehicle.
There is a $250 deductible before any of the work you need is covered; however, the upside is that you don’t pay a huge premium for this coverage. It costs just a few dollars a month, and your car or truck is covered against breakdowns.
There are some catches to this coverage, however.
- The first thing is that the vehicle has to be under 15 months old and have less than 15,000 miles on it. If you have an older vehicle, then you don’t qualify for this coverage.
- This coverage does not allow for wear on items, such as brakes or maintenance items and changing the oil in your vehicle.
- If you add the mechanical breakdown coverage, you can extend it for up to seven years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.
Additional GEICO Coverage Options
In addition to these coverages, you can also purchase:
- Motorcycle insurance
- ATV insurance
- Umbrella insurance (this offers homeowners protection from lawsuits)
- Homeowners insurance
- Renters insurance
- Condo insurance
- Co-op insurance
- RV insurance
- Life insurance
- Boat insurance
- Personal watercraft insurance
- Flood insurance
- Mobile home insurance
- Travel insurance
- Commercial insurance
- Identity theft protection
When you reach GEICO’s website, you will notice a simple layout and a place for you to receive a quote.
Once you find the information that you are looking for, in the homeowner’s section, for example, the explanation of the coverage that is offered is excellent. GEICO goes out of their way to ensure that anyone can read their website and understand what they have to offer.
Also, when it is necessary to include technical verbiage, they provide a definition of the terms on the same page (no need to click a link or find a definition page).
Getting a quote on GEICO’s website is easy as well. However, you are going to need to be willing to part with some personal information to achieve this goal.
Once you enter your zip code and select that you want to get a quote, you are linked to the first page of the process.
- Enter your full name and your address.
- Provide your vehicle information, (standard when getting a quote from any site) as well as how many miles you will be driving the vehicle each year.
- Enter your personal information including your social security.
- Check whether or not someone else will be driving your vehicle and provide their name and some personal info.
- Fill out a driver’s history section:
- What type of accidents or tickets are on each driver’s record for the past five years.
- Provide information about your current auto insurance (if you have one) such as how long you have been with the company and how much coverage you currently have.
- Next, Geico will determine if you are eligible for any discounts.
- Provide your email address as well as your phone number.
Once you are done, you will receive your quote. This quote is based on the information that you provided about your already existing coverage.
If you don’t have existing coverage, the quote is provided based upon a middle of the line cost of coverage.
You also have the option of seeing a quote with the minimum coverage that you can purchase as well as the option to create your policy. Once you are done, you can click a tab to compare the three options side by side.
The Bottom Line on GEICO
GEICO is a well-established company with excellent customer reviews. In fact, according to a recent poll, GEICO has a 97 percent satisfaction rate among customers. In the insurance industry, GEICO is known for paying their claims quickly and in full with little to no fuss involved.
To get a quote, GEICO does require you to submit a great deal of personal information. In addition, you can expect to receive a phone call regarding your quote as well as quite a bit of email (during this review four emails were received after filling out the quote tool).
The upside to this is that having provided all of this information ensures that you get an accurate quote that is based on comprehensive information.
If you choose GEICO, you will be choosing a quality company. If you aren’t sure that GEICO is right for you, shop around.