How To Cancel a AAA Membership: 2022 Guide
AAA membership cancellation is not difficult or time-consuming, and there are several convenient ways to do it. Here are all the ways you can cancel your AAA membership.
Free Car Insurance Comparison
Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Jul 13, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single company.
Our partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from top car companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
- AAA membership is easy to cancel
- AAA insurance can be canceled by phone, in person, or online
- There are other options available rather than canceling your AAA membership
We understand that sometimes you find it necessary to cancel your car insurance policy, and this can be for various reasons. Canceling a membership with the American Automobile Association (AAA) or AAA car insurance is relatively simple and convenient. There are many methods you can use, including by phone, in person, or online.
So, what are the steps to cancel a AAA membership and what else do you need to know? Read on to find out.
How to Cancel a AAA Membership
If you are a member of AAA but need to cancel your membership for any reason, you’ll be relieved to know that cancellation is simple and convenient. The following are the available options and their basic steps.
Canceling AAA Membership In-Person
If there is a local AAA office in your area, you can visit the establishment and speak to an AAA representative in person. Provide the agent with your AAA membership number, your driver’s license, and the date you wish the cancellation to go into effect. Note that you must be the primary membership holder to do this.
Canceling AAA Membership Online
To cancel your AAA membership online, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Log in to your AAA account and select the “My Account” tab.
- Choose the option to “Cancel.”
- Fill out the required details in the cancellation form.
- Verify your details and click “Submit.”
There are also third-party apps, such as DoNotPay, that will handle the cancellation for you. The advantage of the service these apps provide is they ensure it’s done right so you avoid unnecessary fees or errors.
Canceling AAA Membership Over the Phone
To cancel your AAA membership over the phone, here is the number and the steps to follow:
- Call Membership Services at 1-800-922-8228.
- Choose “Membership Services” from the voice menu options.
- Get in contact with an operator and provide the account details required.
- Confirm cancellation.
While you’re on the line, inquire about cancellation fees and whether you qualify for a refund. You may be able to get your car insurance deposit back. If you can, ask the customer representative how to get it.
Free Car Insurance Comparison
Enter your ZIP code below to view companies that have cheap car insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
What is a AAA membership?
AAA is more than an insurance company, so membership implies more than just having an insurance policy. It was founded over a hundred years ago to lobby for driver’s rights and help ensure road and vehicle safety.
Since then, it has become known for its roadside assistance program, vehicle repair, travel assistance, and other services. Auto insurance is a service available to both members and non-members. AAA offers a variety of membership plans with various available products and services.
Are there any other options available besides canceling your AAA membership?
There are reasons for canceling your membership with AAA that are pretty final. For example, you may no longer have a vehicle, and now you no longer need insurance or roadside assistance. Or perhaps the primary membership holder is deceased. These are excellent reasons not to want a AAA membership renewal.
But sometimes the issue prompting cancellation can be resolved by considering other options:
- Budget. If your reason for canceling is due to budget constraints, consider whether you can downgrade your membership plan and still keep some of the AAA benefits. Downgrading may put membership within your budget, and you wouldn’t need to cancel.
- Incentives. If your current membership plan does not have the incentives you’re looking for, an option might be to upgrade to a better plan. Higher-level plans may have the membership benefits you’re looking for.
- Benefits. Customers who don’t maximize the use of available benefits may not see any reason to keep paying for membership. Perhaps if you make full use of AAA benefits, such as car insurance discounts, travel packages, automotive maintenance savings, and increased insurance coverage, you’d decide that membership is worth preserving.
Talk to an agent about maximizing your AAA membership benefits. After considering the options and making a AAA membership comparison, if you still decide on AAA insurance cancellation, plan your cancellation to make sure you don’t end up with a lapse in coverage for your auto insurance.
The Bottom Line on AAA Membership Cancellation
Canceling your AAA membership is convenient and trouble-free. It can be done in person, online, or over the phone. Before canceling, you’ll want to make sure you have your membership details handy and you know how many months are left on your membership.
Make sure you shop for a new auto insurance policy so that you don’t inadvertently end up with a lapse in coverage. And always inquire about your refund and how to get it if you qualify.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.