The price to insure one now will likely be much cheaper than insurance on a new one in 2010 because this model was discontinued after 2011, and as vehicles age, their values decrease along with their insurance rates.
Since each insurance provider uses its own formula to determine how much to charge customers for their coverage, taking the time to shop around for insurance can add up to significant savings on the cost of coverage.
When you are looking for coverage for a Chevrolet HHR, you need to be aware that the insurance company considers multiple factors when setting the cost of premiums.
The different car insurance companies consider the traits of the vehicle itself, its safety features and how it behaves in an accident when deciding how much to charge a policyholder for coverage.
Along with looking at the vehicle to be covered, an insurance company will also consider the human factors at play when someone applies for coverage.
An applicant’s driving record and personal profile are important factors when a company is making a decision about whether to provide coverage and how much to charge for it.
What car insurance basics will impact the car insurance cost for a Chevrolet HHR?
When a person applies for car insurance coverage, the company considers a number of factors when deciding whether or not to offer to cover him or her. Some of these factors include:
- Risk profile – A person who is deemed to be riskier to insure will be charged higher rates for his or her high-risk driving coverage.
- Other drivers in the household – Young children and those who don’t have a license are excluded from consideration, but the records of all licensed drivers are considered when prices are set.
- Claims predictions – The insurance company’s underwriters consider the likelihood of a person in a specific demographic group making a claim against his or her policy.
- For example, insurers are well aware that young drivers or people who have little driving experience are more likely to be involved in car accidents. For that reason, people who belong to these two groups will be charged higher rates for their coverage.
- Rates should start to fall once a customer has celebrated his or her 25th birthday.
- Once a policyholder with a clean driving record is at or close to retirement age, he or she will be able to qualify for low rates on car insurance coverage since the annual miles driven will be lower than for a person who is making a daily commute to and from work.
- Vehicle model – If a customer chooses to drive a vehicle, such as an SUV, that is likely to cause a lot of damage to a car in a collision, that person is going to be paying higher rates for coverage.
- Repair costs – If a particular vehicle is difficult or expensive to repair, insurance costs are going to be higher than for one that doesn’t present the same challenges.
What are the Chevrolet HHR specifics?
The Chevy HHR looks like a cross between a station wagon and an SUV. The public was given its first look at the vehicle at the 2005 Los Angeles Auto Show.
The HHR (Heritage High Roof) is smaller than the Equinox and its design was influenced by cars and trucks manufactured by the company in the 1940s; it most closely resembles the 1949 Suburban.
The HHR is a four-door, front-wheel-drive wagon. Passenger and two-seat panel models are available. This vehicle gives owners good fuel economy of 22 miles per gallon in the city and 32 miles per gallon on the highway.
This design was a hit, and sales in 2006-2007 topped 100,000 units.
So how does the Chevrolet HHR’s construction affect my car insurance rates?
No vehicle is free from performance issues, and the Chevrolet HHR is no exception. Customers who have bought this model have complained about the slow braking speed they experience while operating the vehicle.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has given the HHR a “good” safety rating in frontal offset tests. This model was rated as “acceptable” in side impact tests.
Both these factors impact how car insurers view the vehicle. It’s reasonably safe but is has some issues. Overall, it is considered a safe vehicle.