Male vs. Female Car Insurance Rates in New Hampshire
New Hampshire car insurance rates by gender vary. Quotes obtained from Geico with identical personal details reveal males avg $53.79/mo and females avg $60.10/mo.
Free Car Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Jan 24, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single company.
Our partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from top car companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
- Many car insurance companies tend to charge one gender more than the other for the exact same coverage
- In order to test this, we provided two major auto insurance companies with the same information and applied for insurance, changing only the gender of the driver
- Both companies actually charge men more money for the same insurance coverage as women
The struggle between men and women has been a relevant topic since the beginning of time.
Now that civilization has made some huge advances, you’d expect gender equality to be a standard thing in the United States. Unfortunately, we’ve still got a long way to go to achieve true equality.
People today are still being treated unfairly simply because of their gender. There have been several reports that car insurance companies will inflate the costs of insurance policies for one gender more than another.
There are many different things that you should factor into how you choose your insurance company but is your gender one of them?
In order to see if these reports hold any weight, we decided to investigate New Hampshire’s auto insurance companies to search for any instances of unequal treatment.
Compare quotes for yourself by using our FREE tool above. You might be surprised by the differences you will find for the same coverage.
Auto insurance companies would most likely do everything they can to avoid any negative publicity by admitting to gender inequality, so we avoided asking them directly.
To gather accurate information, we had to obtain our answers without making the car insurance companies aware. In New Hampshire, we provided the companies with the exact same information for two different drivers when applying for a quote.
You can see how New Hampshire compares with other states in car insurance gender equality by checking out our data sheet here.
There are many factors that go into determining an insurance quote, so we made sure that the only difference between the two drivers were their genders.
The following are shared characteristics of the drivers:
- Both of the drivers have owned their homes for over two years and are 25 years of age.
- They’re both employed and are currently working as computer programmers.
- They’ve both had car insurance for over three years and haven’t had any lapses in coverage.
- They both drive 2012 Nissan Altimas that they bought brand new.
- They drive these four-door sedans around for about 13,000 miles every year.
- They both received one speeding ticket in the last three years for driving less than 15 miles per hour over over the speed limit.
Gender is literally the only difference between these two drivers.
To check for unequal car insurance costs in New Hampshire, we tested Geico and Progressive to see how they measured up.
For both the male and female driver, we received the basic quotes including monthly payments, initial payments, and the cost to pay the entire amount in full.
Some auto insurance companies elect to apply discounts automatically, but no additional discounts were applied. This way, we can compare the exact same quotes for the exact same coverage to see if the male or female driver is quoted more or less because of their gender.
Free Car Insurance Comparison
Enter your ZIP code below to view companies that have cheap car insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
The results of this study were absolutely shocking. The reported gender inequality from insurance companies wasn’t just a rumor.
This study proves that car insurance companies definitely take gender into consideration before providing drivers with insurance quotes.
Although Geico inflated their insurance coverage costs for their female drivers, Progressive inflated their costs even more for their male drivers. This truly goes to show how important it is to thoroughly consider your options when it’s time to shop for auto insurance.
The following information will give more details on how both New Hampshire insurance companies inflated their prices for the different genders.
– Geico’s Male Versus Female Quotes
- Male – $295.31 to pay in full or $49.22 for the down payment and $54.22 for monthly payments
- Female – $327.88 to pay in full or $54.65 for the down payment and $59.65 for monthly payments
The female driver was charged $32.57 more than the male driver for the first option.
- Male – $322.78 to pay in full or $60.10 for the down payment and $65.10 for monthly payments
- Female – $360.57 to pay in full or $53.80 for the down payment and $58.80 for monthly payments
Comprehensive and collision coverage is not included in this option.
For the second option, the female driver was charged $37.79 more than the male driver. Overall, Geico in New Hampshire charges women around 10 percent more than men for the exact same insurance coverage.
– Progressive’s Male Versus Female Quotes
- Male – $478 upfront for six months of coverage or $51.82 down payment and monthly payments of $100.65
- Female – $233 upfront for six months of coverage or $18.47 down payment and monthly payments of $47.11
This option does not include collision and comprehensive coverage.
- Male – $761 upfront for six months of coverage or $31.27 down payment and monthly payments of $79.15
- Female – $392 upfront for six months of coverage or $82.25 down payment and monthly payments of $159.16
This option includes a $500 collision and comprehensive deductible.
- Male – $908 upfront for six months of coverage or $98.17 down payment and monthly payments of $189.77
- Female – $497 upfront for six months of coverage or $39.87 down payment and monthly payments of $100.63
This option also includes the $500 deductible for collision and comprehensive coverage.
Overall, Progressive’s quotes for each gender are ridiculously far apart.
They charge men $245 more than women for their basic coverage, $369 more than women for their choice coverage, and $411 more than women for their recommended coverage.
Progressive’s insurance coverage for males is overall inflated by at least 45 percent in comparison to the quotes given to female drivers. Progressive inflated the male’s basic insurance cost by over 51 percent for the exact same coverage.
How do New Hampshire’s laws influence auto insurance quotes?
Vehicles in New Hampshire are not required by law to have auto insurance, but they do have some regulations set forth in the event of an at-fault accident.
In order to maintain your driving privileges in New Hampshire, you must be able to prove that you are capable of providing sufficient funds that are within the New Hampshire Motor Vehicle Financial Responsibility Requirements.
Otherwise, your driving privileges may be suspended. Therefore, it is the driver’s decision to obtain insurance or remain without it. How much coverage is necessary for the vehicle is solely at the discretion of the driver.
Because no one ever intends to get into an accident, it is important to be prepared in the event that it does happen. To find the best price for auto insurance be sure to compare rates! Your premiums could differ hundreds of dollars from different companies!
Enter your ZIP code into our FREE comparison tool below to get started down the path to savings.