The Best Insurance Plans for Old Sports Cars
Collector and classic car insurance is the best coverage option for old sports cars. This is because standard car insurance covers a car based on its depreciated value, while collector and classic car insurance companies use an “agreed value” model that takes into consideration the cost of replacement parts and car value.
Free Car Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: May 4, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single company.
Our partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from top car companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about auto insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything auto insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by auto insurance experts.
- Standard car insurance usually isn’t the best option for old sports cars because coverage is based on the depreciated value of the vehicle instead of what it’s worth to collectors.
- Collector and classic car insurance is ideal for older sports cars because it uses an “agreed value” model that takes into consideration the cost of replacement parts and the value of the vehicle to collectors.
- Compare collector and classic car insurance companies to find the best insurance plan for your old sports car.
Looking to insure your old sports car? After you have participated in a classic car auction featuring an array of damaged classic cars for sale (or old sports cars for sale) with some of the best old car names, you should get your vehicle classic car insurance.
While you may not be able to find a quality policy from every major car insurance company, many specialty insurance companies tailor their plans for classic car collectors.
Not only can you find collector and classic car insurance for old sports cars but it’s also often less expensive than traditional car insurance because insurance companies view classic cars as lower risks than modern vehicles — mostly since they’re driven far less frequently.
With this guide, we’ll help you find the best insurance plans and companies for classic sports cars, so you can enjoy driving your prized possession without having to worry about repairs being too expensive to afford.
After we’ve taken a look at the insurance options available for old sports cars, enter your ZIP code in our free online tool to compare car insurance rates and find cheap classic sports cars insurance coverage in your area.
What are the best insurance plans for old sports cars?
While you may be able to insure an old sports car with a standard full coverage car insurance policy (through a company like GEICO or Allstate), a classic sports car will likely only be covered for its depreciated value through an insurance plan of this sort.
In most cases, owners of classic cars are better off with an insurance company that specializes in collector and classic car insurance. This sort of insurance will cover the value of the car as a collector’s item, meaning there’s plenty of room to negotiate when it comes to coverage limits. That said, there are often certain criteria drivers need to meet in order to qualify for insurance for a classic car.
According to the Insurance Information Institute, old sports car owners may need to show that their vehicle meets some or all of the following conditions in order to be eligible for collector car insurance:
- The classic or collector car may not be used for routine commuting and errands.
- The owner intends to travel with it only occasionally.
- The owner of the classic or collector car needs to show that the vehicle is safely stored (in a private garage, storage unit, etc.).
- The owner of the classic or collector car needs to have at least a mostly clean driving record, without any serious offenses such as reckless driving, a DUI, or multiple speeding violations.
- Some insurance policies may not cover the classic or collector car when the owner brings it to car shows and/or auto club gatherings. But specialized insurance coverage is available for these events.
What car insurance companies cover old sports cars?
Although you may be able to insure your classic sports car with a standard car insurance policy, this isn’t your best option unless you use the vehicle for daily tasks. If your old sports car has any sort of value to you as a collector’s item, you’re better off looking for coverage from an insurance company that’s specifically intended for car collectors and classic car owners.
Here are some of the top car insurance companies for old sports cars:
- Grundy Classic Car Insurance: With no age limit on the vehicles they insure, Grundy Classic Car Insurance offers classic car owners the benefit of an agreed value policy, meaning car owners are guaranteed to receive the full payment amount agreed upon if their vehicle is damaged.
- American Collectors Insurance: This insurance company offers a variety of discounts for classic car owners who meet certain qualifications, including having multiple vehicles or secure storage for their car. American Collectors has a wide range of coverage options, so it’s easy for old sports car owners to find the right policy.
- J.C. Taylor Insurance: Covering classic cars 19 years old or older for car owners over 25 with a clean driving record, J.C. Taylor offers an agreed value policy for vehicles that are kept in secure storage.
- Hagerty Classic Car Insurance: Creator of the Hagerty Collector Network and Hagerty Price Guide, this insurance company is ideal for insuring classic cars that are actively being restored.
- American Modern Insurance: Offering agreed value policies, American Modern offers a variety of discounts and coverage options, including up to $750 of pet coverage in case your pet is injured when you take them along for the ride.
- State Farm Classic Car Insurance: A great choice if you’re an existing State Farm customer, the company’s Classic insurance will cover cars over ten years old that have “special historical interest.”
- Safeco Classic Car Insurance: Your best option if you plan to drive your classic car regularly, Safeco Classic covers up to 10,000 annual miles. The only downside is more limited coverage options compared to other insurance companies listed here.
Can you insure an old sports car with standard car insurance?
In some cases, yes, you will be able to insure your old sports car with standard car insurance coverage. For example, if the vehicle is the car you use for daily commutes or routine errands, most major car insurance companies will be able to set you up with a policy.
That being said, standard auto policies for older cars often provide minimal coverage considering how much you have to pay. This is because standard car insurance looks at your car based on its depreciated value — as opposed to what it may be worth to enthusiasts. If you’re a collector or have put a lot of work into your classic sports car, consider purchasing collector and classic car insurance instead.
Free Car Insurance Comparison
Enter your ZIP code below to view companies that have cheap car insurance rates.
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
How do I find the best insurance for old sports cars?
Finding the best car insurance for your old sports car is a lot like finding the best coverage for any other vehicle. Here are some tips to get you started:
- Come up with a list of car insurance companies that can insure your car. The companies listed earlier in this guide could serve as a great starting point.
- Make a note of what you’re looking for in terms of costs, coverage, and restrictions you can accept. For example, if you store your car in a secure garage, remind yourself to bring this up with insurance agents.
- Use an online quote tool to compare rates and get an idea of your options.
- Contact car insurance companies directly and talk to them about your vehicle and coverage needs.
- Contact car insurance companies directly to see if they offer any perks or discounts based on your vehicle, driving record, or personal background (student, military, senior, etc.).
How expensive is insurance for old sports cars?
In many cases, insuring old sports cars is less expensive than purchasing insurance for a modern vehicle. With standard car insurance, rates tend to be lower because the depreciated value of an older car means insurance companies only have to pay out a few thousand if the vehicle is a total loss. With car insurance for classic and collector cars, insurance companies will often offer affordable rates since a car that’s mostly kept in storage is seen as a very low risk.
With the above in mind, the total cost of car insurance for older sports cars will depend on how much coverage you want and how often you want to be able to actually take your car out for a drive. But whatever your needs as a classic car owner, there’s a coverage plan that’s right for you.
What to Remember About Insurance for Old Sports Cars
- Collector and classic car insurance is the best option for old sports cars because policies cover the agreed value of the vehicle instead of its depreciated value.
- Different collector and classic car insurance companies offer different types of coverage. What may be perfect for one classic car driver may be less than ideal for another.
- Make a note of your coverage needs and compare collector and classic insurance companies to find the best policy for your vehicle.
Now that we’ve taken a look at how to find insurance for old sports cars, use our free online tool to compare rates and find affordable coverage options in your area.