Free Car Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Sep 27, 2016
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We partner with top insurance providers. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.
Liability insurance is designed to get other drivers back on the road should you cause an accident. This type of insurance is required by law. It is only for other drivers and will not cover you, your passengers or your property.
Compare car insurance quotes online by entering your ZIP code into the above FREE tool now!
There are some types of optional car insurance.
- Collision insurance will get your car fixed should you cause an accident.
- Comprehensive coverage covers your car for damage caused by vandals, theft, and weather. It is often required by lenders when a car is financed.
- Underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage will protect you should someone without proper coverage cause an accident.
Reason for Auto Insurance
Here are several reasons you should carry insurance on your vehicle:
- Insurance companies shield you from lawsuits. Without their services, you will be paying all legal fees out of your own pocket to fight a lawsuit.
- If you cause an accident, you will be responsible for any level of damages.
- Medical bills after an accident can be extensive.
- Without insurance, there is no protection for your own vehicle should it be stolen, vandalized or damaged in an accident that you caused.
Fort Wayne Auto Insurance Requirements
Expect to carry minimum coverage levels when living in Fort Wayne. All drivers are required to carry liability coverage for injury or death in the amount of $25,000/person and $50,000/accident. Liability coverage for property shall be a minimum of $10,000.
Drivers should also have uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage in the amount of $25,000/$50,000 for bodily injury and $10,000 for property damage.
It’s important that your insurance is never allowed to lapse. Whether there is a lapse due to changing companies or from a failure to pay, you can expect to pay a 25-50% surcharge to get a new car insurance policy.
Be sure that your new policy takes over without any lapse when switching to a new provider.
Fort Wayne Car Insurance Laws
Expect to carry proof of car insurance or financial responsibility in your vehicle at all times. When you are pulled over for any reason you will be expected to show this to the officer.
If you do not have it with you, you will be given 40 days to show this proof of insurance to the courts or face a 90 day – one-year suspension and fine of $150.
This is for the first offense. Second offenses carry a fine of $225 and a license suspension of one year.
If you are stopped without the insurance card or proof of financial responsibility more than twice in three years your license will automatically be suspended for a year and you face a $300 fine.
If someone borrows your car, you must carry guest driver liability, or the driver may have a policy that covers them on any vehicle they are operating. Failure to ensure that an accident involving a vehicle you are driving will be covered will result in the suspension of your license.
This insurance is designed to protect the general public from drivers who have trouble maintaining insurance.
When a driver allows insurance to lapse, their insurance provider may be required to file an SR-22 form with the state. This form shows that the driver is covered and specifies what the driver’s liability coverage is.
SR-22 is required for a minimum of three years after the initial date of suspension. This coverage can cause an increase in rates of up to 50% and will be required if a driver’s license is revoked or mandatory insurance supervisions are required.
It may be required if a driver has any safety responsibility suspensions or unsatisfied judgment suspensions.
Free Car Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Fort Wayne Car Insurance Ratings
The car insurance companies issue customers a rating based on certain information. In Fort Wayne, the companies can take your personal credit history into account when determining what your premiums should be. They can also look at the following items:
- Type of car you drive – More expensive cars may cost more to insure, but the safety features they offer might help to offset those premiums. Make sure your company is aware of all safety and security features your car has.
- Regular use – How often the car is driven will affect premiums. If you have a car that is only driven occasionally, let your insurance company know and save money on your car insurance premiums.
- Storage – Where you park the car will affect premiums. A private, locked garage may net you a discount on coverage opposed to leaving it on the streets overnight.
- Marital status – Married couples are considered to be more responsible and will enjoy lower premiums on their insurance premiums.
- Driving history – This is a huge factor in how much insurance you will pay in Fort Wayne. If you have driving violations for speeding, accidents and DUI’s you can expect your rates to be affected for up to 7 years. Breaking DUI laws can drastically change one’s auto insurance policy.
Insurance companies care about which cars are the most likely to be stolen, and which cities have the highest theft ratings. Unfortunately, Fort Wayne has above average vehicle thefts compared to the national average.
The National Insurance Crime Bureau issues a list of the most commonly stolen cars every year. Expect your Fort Wayne car insurance to be slightly higher if you are driving one of the following vehicles:
- Chevy Truck or Impala
- Ford Taurus, F150 or Explorer
- Pontiac Grand Am or Grand Prix
- Dodge Ram or Caravan
- Oldsmobile Cutlass
Average Fort Wayne Car Insurance Rates
The average rate for drivers in Fort Wayne is $1350 a year. This breaks down to slightly over $110 a month. Drivers can talk to their agent about discounts based on safety or security features.
Discounts may also be available based on employer, special programs, safety classes and defensive driving classes.
Talk to your specific insurance company or agent for more information on discounts you may qualify for.
Driving in Fort Wayne
Fort Wayne experiences snowy winters and warm summers. Temperatures will drop below freezing as early as mid-October and the cold can continue into late April. Expect to encounter icy driving conditions throughout the winter.
Collision coverage or comprehensive coverage would be required to get your car fixed if you should slide on black ice and damage your car. While it’s not required by law, this coverage is highly recommended.
Throughout the 2013 calendar year, there were 19 fatal vehicle crashes of which 10 had alcohol as a contributing factor.
The city of Fort Wayne does have some laws regarding cell phone use. There is no texting while driving. Fines for violating this law are $500 and drivers under the age of 18 may not use a cell phone or other wireless communications devices at all when behind the wheel.
Fort Wayne Car Insurance Companies and Agents
There are dozens of car insurance providers offering services within the city of Fort Wayne. Choose from large, national companies or private companies that operate on a local basis.
Many larger companies also have agents operating locally who can help you find discounts and can provide assistance should you have to file a car insurance claim.
Finding the best auto insurance rates can be time-consuming because there are so many different companies to choose from in Indiana. Before starting the process, consider what kind of coverage levels you are interested in.
Remember that insurance is designed to shield you from lawsuits. Ideally, the coverage should be enough to protect all of your assets in the event of an accident.
If you are trying to bring the bill down, consider choosing a higher deductible.
Once you know what coverage level you are seeking, the fastest way to find the best price on Fort Wayne car insurance is to use free comparison tools online. Instantly compare car insurance quotes from multiple companies along with available special features.
The services are free and they can help you find the best car insurance company for your needs. Enter your ZIP code below now!